Friday, September 12, 2008

9/11 Misused

I am a New Yorker, and an American. I care about 9/11. I was on the first plane out of Amsterdam to New York, six days after the attack. I had to be with the people I care about during that horrible moment.

I understand the pain and suffering the attack caused. I share the horror of witnessing thousands of innocent people die brutally and for no reason, leaving struggling families behind. I honor the brave firemen and police who struggled to rescue as many people as possible. I feel the shock of my country who, until 9/11, viewed its borders as secure. I have deep respect for those who rebuilt their lives after the attack.

But… we also have to acknowledge just how the Bush administration misused 9/11 for its own ends.
- The “Patriots” Act,
- the lies told to justify the invasion of Iraq,
- the infringements on Americans’ civil liberties,
- the introduction of torture as a legitimate government function,
- the institution of government by fear – codes blue, green and yellow in public places, side-by-side with the exhortation “go on with your lives”.

The forces surrounding the Bush Administration misused the fear following 9/11 to re-order our society, politics and values. Fear and unwarranted trust in the government made people accept things they would never have accepted if they had their wits about them.

9/11 matters profoundly. It matters most in HOW you remember it, and the lessons that we will take from it.

Thus far, it seems we have not done too well.

Bob

No comments: